Minutes by Daniel Goodrich, Secretary

6:30   Welcome and Introductions

6:33   Last meeting action items:

                    Find a permanent Chair and Vice-Chair volunteer—None yet  Action:  Recruit!

                    Dan G. to reserve Summer Social event for August 7th.  Complete.

                    Is there a 2021 budget?  John P. to contact Lee O.—Not one yet; the 2020 financials have been sent and accepted.  Lee needs major expenditures, donations so that he can develop the budget.  Action:  Send information to Lee.

                    Future focus presentation.  Ed Epp offered to give a 15 minute report in April.  Action:  All attendees to suggest names.  Lee offered to find a speaker, possibly in March or May (45 minutes).  John P. will contact another section like Seattle to help with a focus presentation.

6:35   Chair’s report (John P)

                    How is the Section perceived by its members, and what are the needs of the members?  Perhaps conduct a survey; how will it be executed?  E-mails haven’t worked in the past. 

                              Action:  John P will contact IEEE staff about assistance with the survey, and then form a committee of 4 or 5 folks to move forward.


6:45   Vice-Chair's Report (Justin W).  Justin is not present.

6:50   Treasurer's Report (Lee O.).  Bank account is very strong, about $114,085 in the account.  Typically our budget is about $30k. Next month he will start sending out their 2021 allotment, $250 per chapter, $500 for joint accounts.  Action:  The $590 allocation from PES for high performing chapter will be transferred to the PES account. 

6:50   Secretary's Report and Social/Awards (Daniel G.)

                    Need to coordinate with Lee to mail out plaques from Awards ceremony in December

                    INCOSE e-mail  Action:  Promote it on vTools.

                    Plaque commemorating first high tension power line in Oregon City—Dan to chair committee for IEEE Milestone.  Ed Perkins will assist.  Ugonna will also join us.

                    Any needs for Webex meeting reservations?  Action:  Add a reminder e-mail to the series, as well as an updated agenda.

                    New photo, update info on other parts of the web site  Action:  Dan G to Provide information to Daniel E., and he can update.

                    Action:  Dan G. to get web site passwords from Daniel E. and store them, as well as the GoDaddy account.

7:00   Region Meeting Update (Ed Perkins):  Student memberships are half off for 2021, see https://ieee-region6.org/2021/student-membership-discount/ .  Congressional visits day will be virtual this year on March 29th; usually you have to travel to Washington DC.

7:05   Chapter Updates (Max 5 minutes per chapter)

          Communications (Russ)  2/25 5pm seminar

          Solid State Circuits (Richard D):  They are working on career-oriented events and a distinguished lecturer

          Sohrab—He is the only remaining officer for his chapter, but he is working on recruiting others.

          PES—David Silver, next meeting February 16th.  All offices are filled.  Scholarship to be awarded this year.

          Jinsub Kim—Have not met yet.  Some events are being planned.

          Souma—Young Professionals (with Jay), nothing formally planned yet for this year.

          Robotics—(Ed Epp), Seminar 2/10 at lunch time, “open bot” open source robot.  Robot workshops for high school students, using GitHub.  Around 165 views on the youtube that Ed created.  There was also a virtual interactive event with a teacher and students in Hood River. 

Ed Epp asked:  Are there ways of creating a forum/message board that don’t cost a high monthly fee?  Per Daniel Engel, we could host at the section level, but we would need a moderator.  Slack is another idea.  Action:  Ed will discuss further with Russ and Daniel E.

          Student Activities—(Ugonna)  He sent out an e-mail to students, waiting on a response.  None of the local student branches list officers in vTools.  Action:  Provide contact info to Dan G.

          Nanotech:  Ed Perkins.  Met January 28th, Distinguished lecturer Kingzang from Singapore.  The EPS chapter met January 21st, Flexible Hybrid Electronics, and on Feb 25th there will be another Distinguished lecturer from Singapore on quantum computing.

          Rick Smith: Not much to update.

         WIE (Eve Klopf by e-mail):  We had one book club meeting. Heidi and I also met with the book club organizers for the Women Who Code; we're planning on joining forces with them and co-hosting a single book club going forward. I'll be sending out an announcement to the folks on our book club e-mail list about the change.




7:30   Tonight's Focus (Do we have one?  Future focus?)  None tonight.

7:35   New Business/Final Issues

          Update Roster (See John’s Excel Sheet)  Action:  John P will get the e-mail addresses.

          Sohrab asked how to get allocated funds into the concentration account.  He is the Chair, but cannot find a Treasurer, and he cannot be both.  Action:  Sohrab can either find a Treasurer and set up a concentration account, or track the funds himself to be sure the funds don’t get lost year to year.   Rick Smith offered to help with a tracking sheet.

          Go over action items

7:40   Adjourn  Adjourned at 8:10pm.


Attendees:  John Prohodsky, Diwakar, David Silver, Jinsub Kim, Lee Oien, Richard Dorrance, Ed Epp, Russ Mickiewicz, Daniel Engel, Rick Smith, Sohrab Aftabjahani, Ugonna Chikezie, Souma, Ed Perkins, Daniel Goodrich