John kicked off the mtg


Ed Epp, John Prohodsky, Ed Perkins, Daniel Engel, David Silver, Lee Oien, Jinsub Kim, Sohrab Aftabjahani, Rick Smith

6:30 Chair calls the meeting to order

6:35 Approval of Past Minutes and status of previous action items


1) Roll call of who attended the Financial Training, and who has the NextGen account activated.

JohnP has attended, but not sure who has NextGen account activated -

2) John will reach out to Oregon Section Chapters to discuss increased engagement, and will contact the Region as well.

 With online meetings, it allows for us to have joint meetings with other Sections.

JohnP has reached out to the Region and they encourage F2F mtgs.

Adoption of Agenda

EdP asked to add SUSTECH conference to the agenda

6:40 Chair’s Report

Online meeting last Saturday - highlights include getting pizza delivered to participants. Used a web-based app.

IEEE offers a "move" / disaster response truck (called Modular Move), works with American Red Cross. There will be student training on September 25th.

Rising Stars (Mike Andrews) didn't have their own banking account

Given the size of region 8 and 10, they want to carve these up into two more regions. Region 10 has two sub-regions, which would mean more technical directors. Consider combining region 7 with region 6, etc., difficult to get agreement across the board.

Students presented IEEE United - an organization to bring together all the student branches in the region. Thought was to get together at the 5G Summit. Univ of Wash, other student branches in LA, SF, other regions, and getting a mega org of student branches - student had unmet needs from IEEE and they felt it was important to get together. Using Discord held virtually July 24 7:45am-1pm, July 25 9:30a-2p (Pacific).

6:45 Vice-Chair’s Report

Justin is not available

6:50 Treasurer’s Report

$119,911 - includes rebates from last month. Motion to disseminate to the active chapters.

We recv'd $2700 from SUSTECH '21.

Motion to distribute the funds to the chapters. IEEE stepped in and updated some chapters .

Started to get registrations for the summer social.

$800 and $1600 expense so far.

6:55 Secretary’s Report: Secretary will not be present, but encourages everyone to sign up for the Summer Social August 7th. IT IS OUR FIRST TIME TO MEET IN PERSON SINCE MARCH, 2020. See details at


7:00 Chapter Reports (5 minutes Each)

Power and Energy - David Silver - planning out speakers for the fall. David and treasurer both attended the finance training. Trying to get interested topics for the audience. JohnP suggested a topic on electric car charging.

Folsom power house just received an IEEE historic milestone award. David to talk with Daniel (PGE and Westinghouse). JohnP can help make telephone calls to execs if needed. It takes about a year, $1K for the plaque, and maybe PGE will help fund.

Computer Society - trying to set up next mtg in August. EdP gets emails about Computer Society webinars, is Sohrab getting them? EdP to forward emails.

Jinsub - arranged a distinguished lecturer/seminar in September after attending a conference in Alaska. Might do it F2F or Webex. Multimodal data fusion, signal processing, machine learning.  Considering OSU campus for speaker.

EdE - Robotics - focused on 2 areas -

  • first tech challenge (FTC)- HS competition
  • Coordinating a ROS2 build - education for professionals. Started in Feburary - turtlebot3, based around a Raspberry pi - ~$600. looking at lower cost boards, around ~$100. higher cost units use dina ?  motors, lidar (~$150), other capabilities for better sensing. Roomba vacuum has many of the components necessary for robo projects. Includes mapping mode. Consider topic called "What's inside your Roomba". Intel research - openbot - $50 platform if you have an Android phone or tablet to develop software.
  • Doing some virtual training - continue to work on these
  • Dan Engle - renewed subscription for the website hosting
  • EdP - Nanotechnology -
  • JohnP - going to contact PSU to see if a conference room can be used.

7:35 Focus Presentation

7:50 New Business

7:55 Reading of Action Items

  1. Sign up for the Summer Social!
  2. Link to meeting minutes
  3. Research power milestone with PGE
  4. Mtg space for fall EXCOM
  5. SUSTECH planning committee
  6. NextGen - work with chapters for rebates

7:58 Next Meeting

Next mtg will be September 14th, with F2F, location TBD

8:00 Adjourn