ExCom Minutes


  1. 6:00 – PIZZA and Social

  2. 6:30 – Chair's Report (Tugrul Daim)

    • Not able to report
  3. 6:40 – Treasurer's Report (Russ Mickiewicz)

    • $82K in the bank. If anyone is expecting to be reimbursed, send Russ an email.

  4. 6:50 – Secretary's Report (Paulo Vasconcelos)

    • Not able to report
  5. 7:00 – YoPro (Jay Guo) / SAC Report (Matt Harrison) / WIE (Eve Klopf)

    • YoPro
      • Self-driving car oppty for discussion (speaker from Intel)
      • Need a classroom at PSU to host the event. Work with Kirk (PSU Student Chapter Chair)
    • Women in Engineering

      • Head of Tektronix guest speaker
      • World of Speed - Maker Fair. Asking for $270 for class materials. February 23rd. 12-4p
      • Diwakar provided a table cloth/cover and some handouts
      • JohnP will be assisting. Ed will look for a copy of material from "A Day at the Capital", 2011
  6. 7:30 – Tonight's Focus

    • Region 6 + Region 4 Annual Mtg (end of January) - Tempe AZ
      • Status from Ed Perkins. ~ 150 attendees

      • Both Exec Director, President presented

      • 2 candidates for IEEE President presented

      • SK Ramesh - petition candidate. Spread the word, but not allowed to use IEEE distribution lists.

      • IEEE USA President-elect candidates

      • VP of Govt Relations

      • Numerous presentations MGA, Region 10, 7 reps, breakout sessions

      • Matt Harrison (Student Chapter) won an award

      • New President focus will be on ethics, size of membership, financial transparency, open access

      • A debate about all Societies being encouraged to provide open access to content. EU disagrees

    • NW Area Sections Meeting
      • To be held March 30 (likely in Portland, but not confirmed)
    • Technology Roadmap Workshop #1
      • 13 people attended, Only 7 submitted forms for certificates.
      • Heidi - application # for all 4 workshops is the same. It's been approved and accepted
  7. 8:00 Section Updates (Max 5 minutes per section)

    • Ed Perkins (Electronic Packaging and Systems - Components, Packaging, and Manufacturing Tech Society)

      • Mtg Feb 28, a distinguished lecturer from Hong Kong
      • Recent Advances
      • Migrations to Wordpress has encountered some delays
      • Large # of DNS' is causing a problem
    • Ed Epp (Robotics and Automation Society)

      • Mtg coming up focused on building lightwave components for robots
      • Working on an open manipulator (robot arm) lab, probably in the next couple of months. Axiom is providing parts and selling them to people that are interested.
      • Working with FIRST (Robotics Competition and Tech Challenge). URL: https://www.firstinspires.org/
        • SDK - 2 android phones used for robot controller and communication. Uses Android Studio.
        • Can be very challenging for students
        • Learning model - recognize objects in the field and manipulate them. The interface is a straight forward-collect array of objects, determine a goal, and use location to control the robot.
        • Uses Tensorflow Lite. URL: https://www.tensorflow.org/lite
    • Carmelle Munoz (Power and Energy Society)
      • Oregon Coal Plant was discussed at the last monthly meeting
    • OIT Chapter Update
      • 2/20: Steve McGowan - USB standards and protocols - guest speaker
      • 2/26: raspberry pi workshop
    • Circuits & Systems Society
      • Getting started - had 3 meetings last year
      • Check vTools for upcoming events
    • Ed Perkins: Sustech Conference
      • 2020 to be held in April
      • Maybe 2021 to be held in Portland
    • Computer Society Status

      • Background: starting up again to reestablish the chapter.
      • Need to submit a petition.
      • Need at least 2 meetings a year
      • Put together a plan to make being a member worthwhile
      • Co-chair now in Austin
      • Get together with Diwakar to understand recruiting members
      • Screening speakers? Some campuses have processes that need to be followed
        • Hawthorn Farms auditorium doesn't screen the speaker
      RichardD to research for Sohrab
  8. Future Focus

    Mar: Computer Society and OITW SB

    Apr: TBD

    May: TBD

Attendees:  Russ Mickiewicz (Treasurer), John Prohodsky (Past Chair), Jian Guo (YP Chair), Rick Smith (PACE Chair), Carmelle Munoz (PES Chair), David Rubenstein (PES Vice Chair), Ed Epp (RAS Chair), Eve Klopf (WIE Chair), Farhana Sheikh (SSCS Chair), Richard Dorrance (SSCS Vice Chair), Heidi DeGarmo, Sohrab Aftabjahani, Ed Perkins, Eric, David Rubenstein, Jeffrey H.


Important Dates 

Action Items

  1. JohnP will send out an email for Call for Nominations for the Chair/Vice Chair elections.


  1. 6:00 – PIZZA and Social

  2. 6:30 – Chair's Report (Hamid Sharifnia)

    • Hamid asked to be excused from his responsibilities as Chair due to health reasons.
  3. 6:40 – Treasurer's Report (Russ Mickiewicz)

    • Report attached.
  4. 6:50 – Secretary's Report (Paulo Vasconcelos)

    • OpCom in January 25th
      • Paulo Vasconcelos will likely attend. Ed Perkins will attend. Nobody else from the Section seems to be available.
    • Section Awards Committee creation and Chair nomination
      • Motion made by Secretary to create Section Awards Committee and appoint Daniel Goodrich as Chair due to his outstanding work during the Section Socials. Seconded by Past Chair, all in favor - motion passes.
    • Congratulations to all, 100% of meetings in 2018 had filed their attendance report.
    • Consultants network affinity group was awarded the Most active Affinity Group in 2018.
    • PES Chapter was awarded the Most Active Society Chapter in 2018.
    • John Prohodsky appointed as Senior Membership Development replacing Brian Conley.
  5. 7:00 – YoPro (Jay Guo) / SAC Report (Matt Harrison) / WIE (Eve Klopf)

    • Rising Stars 2019 Report
    • TEMS Workshop Series updates
    • Section Student Representative (SSR)
    • WIE Events
  6. 7:30 – Tonight's Focus

    • Signal Processing Society (SPS) - see the presentation below.
  7. 8:00 Section Updates (Max 5 minutes per section)

  8. Future Focus

    Feb: TBD

    Mar: TBD

    Apr: TBD

Attendees:  Paulo Vasconcelos (Secretary), Russ Mickiewicz (Treasurer), John Prohodsky (Past Chair), Jian Guo (YP Chair), Rick Smith (PACE Chair), Carmelle Munoz (PES Chair), Ed Epp (RAS Chair), Kirk Jungles (PSU SB Chair), Haider Al-kanan, Thomas Bridges (OIT SB Chair), Taylor Courier, Sid Dasari, Bruno George, Stephen Johnston, David Rubenstein, Ryan Schofield, Aditee Shrotre, Diwakar Agarwal.

WebEx Attendees:  Branimir Pejcinovic, Eve Klopf, Matt Harrison, Daniel Engel (Webmaster), Ed Perkins, Jinsub Kim, Ken Mays (ED15/MTT17 Chair).


Important Dates 

Action Items 


  1. 6:00 - PIZZA and Social

  2. 6:30 - Chair's Report (Hamid Sharifina)

  3. 6:40 - Treasurer's Report (Russ Mickiewicz)

  4. 6:50 - Secretary's Report (Paulo Vasconcelos)

    1. MGA made some changes in their manual, as a result "in Sections with at least one Student Branch, it is recommended that the Section ExCom select ... a Section Student Representative (SSR) as voting members of the Section ExCom. ...the SSR is an active Student Member or Graduate Student Member in a Student Branch of the Section.

    2. Presented to members one way to advance their career with mentoring and employment opportunities by using IEEE Collabratec. The tool could be used to connect students to section mentors in the Student Resume Initiative, but the software proved difficult to setup and needs some updates.

    3. Active Chapter Societies pending presentation on the "Focus Presentations" are: Education Society (ED-), Solid-Sate Circuit Society (SSC), Industry Applications Society (IAS), Signal Processing Society (SPS).

    4. MGA will be migrating all WordPress websites from sites.ieee.org on Amazon AWS to wpengine.com.

    5. The Section needs to act on the appointment of new Student Branches Counselors. There is one case where the Counselor did not change over 15 years going against IEEE best practices to rotation officers after two years.

    6. No filed events, the Section will send another email to remind people about non-reported email. After a week, non-reported events will be deleted from v-tools.

  5. 7:00 - YoPro's Chair Report (Jay Guo)

    1. TEMS Workshop Series to be repeated this year, starting in December being co-sponsored by Young Professionals. Events are free again as a way to measure interest but will the committee is evaluate the potential for PDH (professional development hours ) certificates to be issued.

    2. Student Resume Review Initiative. Collaboration between students, YP and members to create a venue for students to get their resume reviewed by seasoned professionals in the Section.
  6. 7:30 - Tonight's Focus 

    1. Women in Engineering - WIE (Eve Klopf)

    2. Student Activities Committee Chair - SAC (Matt Harrison)

  7. Motion made by Secretary to approve Eve Klopf as new WIE Chair and Matt Harrison as new SAC Chair. Past Chair seconded. All in favor (10 voting members), no opposing, no further discussion - motion carries.
  8. 8:00 Section Updates (Max 5 minutes per section)

    1. Consultant Network Affinity group to send request for reimbursement for NEDME booth.
    2. Winter Social discussion. Approved Lucky Lab as venue on December 8th, 2018.
  9. Future Focus

    1. Nov: SPS 

    2. December: Summer Social, see everybody there!`

    3. Jan: TBD

Attendees:  Tugrul Daim (Vice Chair), Paulo Vasconcelos (Secretary), John Prohodsky (Past Chair), Daniel Engel (Webmaster),Jian Guo (YP Chair), Rick Smith (PACE Chair), Daniel Goodrich (PES Chair), Ken Mays (ED15/MTT17 Chair), Ed Epp (RAS Chair), Joe Tabor (Consultants Network), Kirk Jungles (PSU SB Chair), Eric Ruhl (AESS SB Chapter Chair), Godnin Tetteh, Zubin Bagai Josh Horeis.

WebEx Attendees:  Eve Klopf, Matt Harrison, Joshua Gess, Sumad, Sohrab Aftabjahani.


Important Dates 

  • October, 13-14th - Fall School on Nanotechnology for Education at PSU.
  • October, 14-17th - Nanotechnology Materials and Devices Conference.

Action Items