ExCom Minutes

6:15 Secretary starts meeting and notes attendees

Jinsub Kim, John Prohodsky, Lee Oien, Pradeep, Rick Smith, Sohrab Aftabjahani, Ed Epp, Ed Perkins Dr. Dave Kapil in attendance

6:30 Chair calls the meeting to order

6:35 Approval of Past Minutes and status of previous action items

SUSTECH is finalizing their bank account info; Lee is working with them.  Minutes approved.


Adoption of Agenda


6:40 Chair’s Report

We need to reach out to the Student Branches

6:45 Vice-Chair’s Report

6:50 Treasurer’s Report $17,252 rebate came from IEEE.  Six chapters received rebates based on the number of meetings and events that are in the vTools, anywhere from $220 to $295.  *Chapters send your HOP number to Lee so that the can transfer the funds.

$550 additional will go to the PES for being a high performing chapter.

*Lee will send the full report to Dan G for him to add to the meeting minutes.

Intel will donate $10 for each volunteer hour that an employee submits, and sends the total funds to IEEE Oregon Section.  *John P will develop a policy/procedure related to how these funds can be distributed to individual chapters rather than it all going to the Section.


Is there a Google docs or equivalent that can be used by the Section?  *John P. will do some research and talk to Vera, and Dan G. will set something up once we get the information.


6:55 Secretary’s Report—Dan will send out direct link in a separate e-mail for these monthly meetings.  Can he also provide the link on vTools?  I was trained to avoid it due to concerns about uninvited guests attending.  *In the future, Dan will include the link in vTools, and schedule a recurring meeting and forward it.  If we have issues, have a standard password and have people request the password.

7:00 Chapter Reports (5 minutes Each)

          Ed Epp RAS:  First Fair 9/23 for first competition in the Portland.  Ed is doing a tutorial for high school students on tensor flow.  Ed ordered parts for a 3rd training bot that IEEE is managing.

          Farhana:  Meeting next week to discuss future meetings.

          Jinsub, Signal Processing: 20 people in person, and 11 online attended their recent meeting.  Is trying to get a distinguished lecturer for the next meeting.

          Dave Kapil:  New to the Section, works for Intel, is interested in helping out.  Has not been getting e-mail responses.  For Senior membership, Diwakar is the contact.

          Ed Perkins, Nanotechnology:  Met earlier this month.

          Pradeep, Communications Society:  Pradeep went over all of the six meetings that they have had.  Next one October 27th.

          Rick Smith, PACE: Is assisting with SUSTECH

          Dan G., PES:  We meet again October 19th at 12:30.

          Sohrab, Computer Society:  Tech Webinar in September, another meeting will be in October, and they plan to meet in Nov and Dec as well.

          Eve WIE: Next Meeting Nov 18 at 6pm, book discussion, “The Seven necessary Sins for Women and Girls”

7:35 Focus Presentation.  None

7:50 New Business.

7:55 Reading of Action Items

7:58 Next Meeting  November 9 and then December 14

8:00 Adjourn  Adjourned at 2008

John kicked off the mtg


Ed Epp, John Prohodsky, Ed Perkins, Daniel Engel, David Silver, Lee Oien, Jinsub Kim, Sohrab Aftabjahani, Rick Smith

6:30 Chair calls the meeting to order

6:35 Approval of Past Minutes and status of previous action items


1) Roll call of who attended the Financial Training, and who has the NextGen account activated.

JohnP has attended, but not sure who has NextGen account activated -

2) John will reach out to Oregon Section Chapters to discuss increased engagement, and will contact the Region as well.

 With online meetings, it allows for us to have joint meetings with other Sections.

JohnP has reached out to the Region and they encourage F2F mtgs.

Adoption of Agenda

EdP asked to add SUSTECH conference to the agenda

6:40 Chair’s Report

Online meeting last Saturday - highlights include getting pizza delivered to participants. Used a web-based app.

IEEE offers a "move" / disaster response truck (called Modular Move), works with American Red Cross. There will be student training on September 25th.

Rising Stars (Mike Andrews) didn't have their own banking account

Given the size of region 8 and 10, they want to carve these up into two more regions. Region 10 has two sub-regions, which would mean more technical directors. Consider combining region 7 with region 6, etc., difficult to get agreement across the board.

Students presented IEEE United - an organization to bring together all the student branches in the region. Thought was to get together at the 5G Summit. Univ of Wash, other student branches in LA, SF, other regions, and getting a mega org of student branches - student had unmet needs from IEEE and they felt it was important to get together. Using Discord http://5gsummit.org/ieeeunited/ held virtually July 24 7:45am-1pm, July 25 9:30a-2p (Pacific).

6:45 Vice-Chair’s Report

Justin is not available

6:50 Treasurer’s Report

$119,911 - includes rebates from last month. Motion to disseminate to the active chapters.

We recv'd $2700 from SUSTECH '21.

Motion to distribute the funds to the chapters. IEEE stepped in and updated some chapters .

Started to get registrations for the summer social.

$800 and $1600 expense so far.

6:55 Secretary’s Report: Secretary will not be present, but encourages everyone to sign up for the Summer Social August 7th. IT IS OUR FIRST TIME TO MEET IN PERSON SINCE MARCH, 2020. See details at https://meetings.vtools.ieee.org/m/274779


7:00 Chapter Reports (5 minutes Each)

Power and Energy - David Silver - planning out speakers for the fall. David and treasurer both attended the finance training. Trying to get interested topics for the audience. JohnP suggested a topic on electric car charging.

Folsom power house just received an IEEE historic milestone award. David to talk with Daniel (PGE and Westinghouse). JohnP can help make telephone calls to execs if needed. It takes about a year, $1K for the plaque, and maybe PGE will help fund.

Computer Society - trying to set up next mtg in August. EdP gets emails about Computer Society webinars, is Sohrab getting them? EdP to forward emails.

Jinsub - arranged a distinguished lecturer/seminar in September after attending a conference in Alaska. Might do it F2F or Webex. Multimodal data fusion, signal processing, machine learning.  Considering OSU campus for speaker.

EdE - Robotics - focused on 2 areas -

  • first tech challenge (FTC)- HS competition
  • Coordinating a ROS2 build - education for professionals. Started in Feburary - turtlebot3, based around a Raspberry pi - ~$600. looking at lower cost boards, around ~$100. higher cost units use dina ?  motors, lidar (~$150), other capabilities for better sensing. Roomba vacuum has many of the components necessary for robo projects. Includes mapping mode. Consider topic called "What's inside your Roomba". Intel research - openbot - $50 platform if you have an Android phone or tablet to develop software.
  • Doing some virtual training - continue to work on these
  • Dan Engle - renewed subscription for the website hosting
  • EdP - Nanotechnology -
  • JohnP - going to contact PSU to see if a conference room can be used.

7:35 Focus Presentation

7:50 New Business

7:55 Reading of Action Items

  1. Sign up for the Summer Social!
  2. Link to meeting minutes
  3. Research power milestone with PGE
  4. Mtg space for fall EXCOM
  5. SUSTECH planning committee
  6. NextGen - work with chapters for rebates

7:58 Next Meeting

Next mtg will be September 14th, with F2F, location TBD

8:00 Adjourn

6:15     Secretary starts meeting and notes attendees

6:30     Chair calls the meeting to order

6:35     Approval of Past Minutes and status of previous action items

            Adoption of Agenda

6:40     Chair’s Report:  Nothing to report, no communications from Region 6 

6:45     Vice-Chair’s Report  Not present.

6:50     Treasurer’s Report; Balance:  $112,500.  Are switching over to the NextGen finance.  Lee has control of the account.  John P.  signed up yesterday. 

        NextGen Finance for all Chairs and Treasurers.  E-mail sent

                Session 1:  June 9th at 0500 or June 16th at 1500 PPT

                Session 2:  June 9th at 1500 or June 17th at 0500

                Session 3:  June 10th at 0700 or June 22nd at 0500

        Action:  All Chapter Chairs and Treasures are expected to attend.

6:55     Secretary’s Report; Summer Social August 7th 7pm.  Confirmed—remaining cost to the Section is $1,550 due July 27th.  Is $10 per person, and $20 for up to a family of 4 ok?  That gets you a ticket and a voucher for Hamburger or hot dog, chips and a drink or vegetarian equivalent.  I will set up the vTools registration, though I may need help—Ed, any word on whether that’s working now?

Action:   Web site Passwords:  Dan Engel sent the instructions to Dan G.

 Action:  Dan to ask Diwakar if he is sending out his monthly e-mail.  Complete

7:00     Chapter Reports (5 minutes Each)

        WIE:  Not present

        Solid State Circuits:  Not present

Signal Processing Society:  Not present

        Nanotech:  No updates. 

Professional Activities:  Rick Smith:  Nothing to report.

        Computer Society: Sohrab Aftabjahani:  Two meetings planned in the summer.

        PES:  Action—David to address financial registration so that we can get funding.  Status David or Lee?  Per Lee, once the NexGen accounting is complete, then the $590 will be transferred to the Chapter, as well as the annual $250.  Action:  Lee anticipates this will happen within 2 weeks or so.

        RAS: Ed Epp: 

Comsoc:  Not Present.

Student Activities:  Ugonna Chikezie:  Nothing to report.  Rick Smith asked about reimbursing students for the Rising Stars.  Per Lee, we did send one check for $50.  Are there more?

Webmaster Daniel Engel:  Annual GoDaddy fee $300 is due the first week in July.  Action:  Lee and Daniel will work together on this; Daniel will e-mail Lee.

7:35     Focus Presentation:   Not tonight. 

7:50     New Business

                TEMS Chapter sponsorship PICMET of 1% has been approved by John P.

                Action:  John will reach out to Oregon Section Chapters to discuss increased engagement, and will contact the Region as well.  With online meetings, it allows for us to have joint meetings with other Sections.

7:55     Reading of Action Items 

7:58     Next Meeting July 13th  

8:00     Adjourn  Adjourned at 7:40pm



Attendees:  Daniel Goodrich, Daniel Engel, Ed Epp, Lee Oien, David Silver, Sohrab Aftabjahani, Ugonna Chikezie, John Prohodsky, Rick Smith.


6:15     Secretary starts meeting and notes attendees

6:30     Chair calls the meeting to order

6:35     Approval of Past Minutes and status of previous action items

            Adoption of Agenda

6:40     Chair’s Report   Chair not present.

6:45     Vice-Chair’s Report  Vice Chair not present.

6:50     Treasurer’s Report;

6:55     Secretary’s Report; Summer Social August 7th 7pm  Action:  Dan to ask Diwakar if he is sending out his monthly e-mail.

7:00     Chapter Reports (5 minutes Each)

        WIE/Heidi:  Meeting tonight, “Working in Public”, then “Atomic Habits”  The meetings are scheduled in vTools.  They use Meetup.

        Solid State Circuits Society/Richard D.  April 28th joint meeting.  Next presentation is June 24th  UCSD, more details coming in vTools.   

Signal Processing Society/Jinsub: Met April 23rd, 12 attendees.  No meeting scheduled yet, but they are looking for speakers.

        Nanotech/Ed Perkins:  Nothing scheduled right now.  Same for EPS.  Regarding SUSTECH, vTools does not allow registrations that require payment, but Boise was able to do it.   Perhaps the Webmaster knows.

Professional Activities/Rick Smith:  Last week was STEM week.  Be sure to log any volunteer hours.

        Computer Society/Sohrab: Technical Session April 29th, about 25 attendees.  He is struggling to get announcements for meetings out to a wider audience, especially from other sections such as Seattle or the national Computer Society web site.

        PES:  Next meeting May 18th, then off for summer.  Action—David to address financial registration so that we can get funding.

        RAS/Ed:   Found a contact Dawn Schwartz regarding pre-university STEM work and the Tech Challenge Machine Learning seminars.

Next week is the fourth build for turtlebot, six people actively involved.  Next meeting on sharing images back and forth.

Comsoc/Russ:  Met April 29th on wireless from a person from Intel.  Nothing scheduled yet.  

7:35     Focus Presentation:   Not tonight.  No volunteers for next month yet.

7:50     New Business

        Congressional Visits Day, Jeff Drummond, Ed Perkins, an OSU Professor, and Brian Berg.  They talked to Wyden (privacy and cybersecurity), Merkely, Bon Amici, DeFazio, Cliff Bents.  “Endless frontier act”, will rename NSF to the NSTF (T for Technology).  Another act, AB-5 in California regarding gig workers, consultants and contractors.


Sohrab asked about giving a gift card or equivalent to guest speakers.  You can purchase a gift (for example from the Oregon Store).  Set up a Concur IEEE account (not the same name as your work) and the section can reimburse you.

7:55     Reading of Action Items 

7:58     Next Meeting June 8th

8:00     Adjourn  Adjourned at 7:15pm

Action Items:


  1. SUSTECH; last in Portland in 2014. We should bring it back to Portland, perhaps in 2023.  Action:   Ed Perkins will send an e-mail with a list of what resources will be needed.  org.
  2. Dan G. to sent IEEE Survey info to John P. that was discussed at the Sections Congress. The e-mail address is shown at https://mga.ieee.org/resources-operations/geographic-unit/vitality/surveying-members Complete
  3. INCOSE (Herb Milligor at PSU) e-mail Action:  Promote it on vTools.  Was someone supposed to supply info to the Secretary?  John will pursue.  John sent an e-mail out and will follow up.
  4. Dan G. to work with Daniel E. and exchange critical site passwords. Dan G. sent e-mail.
  5. John P: To summarize ways to increase attendance and engagement at ExComm meeting and send out an e-mail.

6:15     Secretary starts meeting and notes attendees

6:30     Chair calls the meeting to order

6:35     Approval of Past Minutes and status of previous action items

            Adoption of Agenda

6:40     Chair’s Report  IEEE Sections Congress was last weekend.  John and Dan G. attended.  John will make more contacts.  Big emphasis on pre-college STEM activities.  John will report back and we want to try doing something in September.  Go to

https://sections-congress.ieee.org/program-schedule/ to see the videos.

6:45     Vice-Chair’s Report  Nothing new to report.

6:50     Treasurer’s Report; IEEE NextGen Finance: Upcoming Changes in NetSuite and CBRS  Do a search on “NextGen Accounting” on the IEEE site to learn how to update your Chapter’s financial transactions.  This does not impact Concur.

6:55     Secretary’s Report; did everyone get the invite on April 8th or 9th?  IEEE Sections Congress

7:00     Chapter Reports (5 minutes Each)

            WIE/Eve:  Recently joined with the Women in Code book club, next meeting May 11th, 6-8.  “Working in Public:  The making and maintenance…”  They will meet every other month.

            Solid State Circuits Society/Farhana:  Tech talks scheduled, April 28 4:30pm, Intel; June 24th is also confirmed.

            Signal Processing Society/Jinsub:  Two meetings in April.  Next meeting April 23rd.

            Nanotech/Ed Perkins:  No meetings scheduled, but they will be soon.  Webinar on Air Quality; see the Nanotechnology council site.  https://events.vtools.ieee.org/m/265997 .  CPMT has had a few meetings.

                        SUSTECH starts next week, 95 attendees signed up.  Members can attend for $75.  NWSE is looking for general judges; Regeneron is the new sponsor of the International Science Fair (it was Intel).

Professional Activities/Rick Smith:  Might help with pre-college project; will work with John P.

            Computer Society/Sohrab:  Is arranging a webinar on supply chain, professor from U of Florida, April 29th or a few weeks later.  https://tttc-vts.org/public_html/new/2021/    https://tttc-vts.org/public_html/new/2021/sponsors/


7:35     Focus Presentation:  Ed Epp presented on activities by the Robotics and Automation Society.


7:50     New Business

            MOU for a conference PICMET at Doubletree.  We will decide whether to approve next month.

            From IEEE Sections Congress:  There are funds available to for COVID-related products.  John will pursue further.

            John:  We should revive our Newsletter.  Ed P:  What is our outreach?  Where will we get content?  Santa Clara Valley has one.  Ed P and John might pursue this further.

            Ed:  SUSTECH; last in Portland in 2014.  We should bring it back to Portland, perhaps in 2023.  Action:   Ed will send an e-mail with a list of what resources will be needed.  Ieeesustech.org.

7:55     Reading of Action Items 

7:58     Next Meeting May 11th

8:00     Adjourn  Adjourned at 8:33pm