ExCom Minutes

Agenda: 

  1. 6:00 - PIZZA and Social

  2. 6:30 - Chair's Report (Hamid Sharifina)

  3. 6:40 - Treasurer's Report (Russ Mickiewicz)

  4. 6:50 - Secretary's Report (Paulo Vasconcelos)

    1. MGA made some changes in their manual, as a result "in Sections with at least one Student Branch, it is recommended that the Section ExCom select ... a Section Student Representative (SSR) as voting members of the Section ExCom. ...the SSR is an active Student Member or Graduate Student Member in a Student Branch of the Section.

    2. Presented to members one way to advance their career with mentoring and employment opportunities by using IEEE Collabratec. The tool could be used to connect students to section mentors in the Student Resume Initiative, but the software proved difficult to setup and needs some updates.

    3. Active Chapter Societies pending presentation on the "Focus Presentations" are: Education Society (ED-), Solid-Sate Circuit Society (SSC), Industry Applications Society (IAS), Signal Processing Society (SPS).

    4. MGA will be migrating all WordPress websites from sites.ieee.org on Amazon AWS to wpengine.com.

    5. The Section needs to act on the appointment of new Student Branches Counselors. There is one case where the Counselor did not change over 15 years going against IEEE best practices to rotation officers after two years.

    6. No filed events, the Section will send another email to remind people about non-reported email. After a week, non-reported events will be deleted from v-tools.

  5. 7:00 - YoPro's Chair Report (Jay Guo)

    1. TEMS Workshop Series to be repeated this year, starting in December being co-sponsored by Young Professionals. Events are free again as a way to measure interest but will the committee is evaluate the potential for PDH (professional development hours ) certificates to be issued.

    2. Student Resume Review Initiative. Collaboration between students, YP and members to create a venue for students to get their resume reviewed by seasoned professionals in the Section.
  6. 7:30 - Tonight's Focus 

    1. Women in Engineering - WIE (Eve Klopf)

    2. Student Activities Committee Chair - SAC (Matt Harrison)

  7. Motion made by Secretary to approve Eve Klopf as new WIE Chair and Matt Harrison as new SAC Chair. Past Chair seconded. All in favor (10 voting members), no opposing, no further discussion - motion carries.
  8. 8:00 Section Updates (Max 5 minutes per section)

    1. Consultant Network Affinity group to send request for reimbursement for NEDME booth.
    2. Winter Social discussion. Approved Lucky Lab as venue on December 8th, 2018.
  9. Future Focus

    1. Nov: SPS 

    2. December: Summer Social, see everybody there!`

    3. Jan: TBD

Attendees:  Tugrul Daim (Vice Chair), Paulo Vasconcelos (Secretary), John Prohodsky (Past Chair), Daniel Engel (Webmaster),Jian Guo (YP Chair), Rick Smith (PACE Chair), Daniel Goodrich (PES Chair), Ken Mays (ED15/MTT17 Chair), Ed Epp (RAS Chair), Joe Tabor (Consultants Network), Kirk Jungles (PSU SB Chair), Eric Ruhl (AESS SB Chapter Chair), Godnin Tetteh, Zubin Bagai Josh Horeis.

WebEx Attendees:  Eve Klopf, Matt Harrison, Joshua Gess, Sumad, Sohrab Aftabjahani.

Discussions

Important Dates 

  • October, 13-14th - Fall School on Nanotechnology for Education at PSU.
  • October, 14-17th - Nanotechnology Materials and Devices Conference.

Action Items 

Agenda: 

  1. 6:00 - PIZZA and Social

  2. 6:30 - Chair's Report (Hamid Sharifina)

    1. TEMS Workshop Series to be repeated this year, starting in Fall. The section should charge for this events to avoid no-shows.

    2. Student Resume Review Initiative. Collaboration between students, YP and members to create a venue for students to get their resume reviewed by seasoned professionals in the Section.
  3. 6:40 - Treasurer's Report (Russ Mickiewicz)

  4. 6:50 - Secretary's Report (Paulo Vasconcelos)

    1. Winter Social discussion. Approved December 8th, 2018 as 1st option date and December 1st, 2018 as a 2nd option. Daniel Goodrich suggested distributing some awards (maybe one technical and one volunteer) but needed more instructions on categories and the process. Ed provided the Region's link for awards. Find a family friendly place that has a projector.

    2.  Cash for Summer Social given to Hamid.

    3. Presented the IEEE Center for Leadership Excellence (CLE) video as requested from Region 6 Director.

    4. No filed events, the Section will send another email to remind people about non-reported email. After a week, non-reported events will be deleted from v-tools.
    5. Updated officers for all chapters and student branches.
    6. Replacement for SAC Chair, WIE Chair requested from Region 6 Director.
    7. The Section has a new ExCom format that reserves time for a Focus Presentation for a Society Chapter, Affinity Group or Student Branch present their accomplishments or plans for the future. It is a way for the ExCom to identify groups in need of help so that we can redirect resources to those groups and for members to meet each other. In the past months, we learned about what chapters/SBs have been doing and identified some additional resources that they needed. The presentation can be done online (over the WebEx) or in person and usually takes 15 - 30 min (depending on the content). The chapters left in 2018 are Education Society (ED), Solid-State Circuit Society (SSC), Signal Processing Society (SPS).
  5. 7:00 - Tonight's Focus 

    1. Student Branches: WSUV (Bryce Tabbot) and PSU AESS/RAS (Eric Ruhl).

    2. Society Chapter: None

  6. 8:00 Section Updates (Max 5 minutes per section)

    1. Ed Perkins is looking for ideas for projects for Region Meetings. OSU has a hands-on project that could be explored in an Area meeting focusing on overclocking computers and thermal management and computer science. Matt mentioned OSU could create a small competition focused on air cooled, liquid cooled and liquid nitrogen cooled computers.
    2. October 6th - NW Area meeting in Spokane for students and members. Region sponsors 2 students and the advisor to attend. The section may be able to sponsor additional students and Section members.
    3. October, 13-14th - Fall School on Nanotechnology for Education at PSU
    4. October, 14-17th - Nanotechnology Materials and Devices Conference
  7. Future Focus

    1. Oct: SPS?? (TBC) 

    2. Nov: TBD

    3. December: Summer Social, see everybody there!

Attendees:  Hamid Sharifnia (Chair), Paulo Vasconcelos (Secretary), John Prohodsky (Past Chair), Daniel Goodrich (PES Chair), Ken Mays (ED15/MTT17 Chair), Ed Epp (RAS Chair), Ryan Olson, Kirk Jungles (PSU SB Chair), Stephen Johnston (PSU SB Treasurer), Eric Ruhl (AESS SB Chapter Chair), Jian Guo (YP Chair), Bryce Tabbut (WSUV SB Chair), Kaleb Spencer (WSUV SB Vice-Cahir), Patrick Doukas (WSUV SB Secretary), Vishvas Chalishazar, Brian Choi.

WebEx Attendees:  Ed Perkins, Matt Harrison, Daniel Engel, Barbara, Megan Rodrigo, Joshua Gess.

Discussions

Important Dates 

  • September 23-27th, 2018 - Industry Applications Society Annual Meeting at the Oregon Convention Center.
  • October 6th - NW Area meeting in Spokane.
  • October, 13-14th - Fall School on Nanotechnology for Education at PSU.
  • October, 14-17th - Nanotechnology Materials and Devices Conference.

Action Items 

  • Matt to send email to Ed Perkins to prepare a presentation for Region level.
  • Paulo to send an email to Chapter asking to fill event report.
  • Chapters contacts to report meeting attendance within the one-week deadline, after that events will be deleted.
  • Paulo to send email asking which Chapter will do the Focus Presentation in October and November meeting.
  • December, no meeting. Winter Social, 1st date December 8th to accommodate students who are in finals the week prior. December 1st is the second option.
  • Eric and Kaleb to send their presentation to be included in the minutes.
  • WSUV to create a Linked In post to promote their RC Airplane project and lessons learned.
  • Eric to send a blurb about one of the projects from RAS or AESS for highlight at the Region 6 level.

Announcements 

Agenda: 

  1. 6:00 - PIZZA and Social

  2. 6:30 - Chair's Report (Diwakar Agarwal, on behalf of Tugrul Daim)

    1. TEMS Workshop Series to be repeated this year, starting in Fall. The section should charge for this events to avoid no-shows.

    2. ExCom members to use v-tools for events so that they make to the Section's communications emails.
  3. 6:40 - Treasurer's Report (Russ Mickiewicz)

    1. Section finance looking good, will send the report later.

  4. 6:50 - Secretary's Report (Paulo Vasconcelos)

    1. Registration available for Summer Social. Call out to register, the time is now! Dan needs that information for the catering company in the next three (3) weeks. Nascar car will be available to attendees. There is a place for kids to play.

    2. Volunteers opportunities for the PES General Meeting. 75% of spots still need to be filled. The event brings professionals from all over the world, around 2000 attendees registered. Let us step in and help our fellow society. No need to be an IEEE member to volunteer.

    3. RAS Report: 

      1. The June 5 meeting about “Person Tracking With Depth Cameras” by Dave Shinsel, a retired Intel RealSense manager, was attended by 17 people. It was a good meeting.
      2. The June 16 and 17 OMSI Robot Weekend had reasonable attendance. The older kids and adults were interested. However, the bulk of the people that stopped by were on the young side. Ed's presentation focus was “Leveraging Lidar for Mapping and Navigation.” He gave a 30-minute demo/presentation Saturday and Sunday which attracted roughly 30 people total. They went well.
      3. RAS Chapter is off for July and August.
    4. Paulo received a request from IEEE USA to promote the Stopfakes Roadway that is coming to Portland on July 26th. The International Trade Administration, a federal agency that helps companies export, is holding that event that "delivers information about intellectual property with an emphasis on what small- and medium-sized businesses, minority-owned businesses, and new exporters need to know." Flyer and agenda below.

    5. Back in February, at the OpCom, IEEE launched the Center for Leadership Excellence (CLE), an on-demand and self-paced training portal with opportunities for all volunteers. Training is open to all officers independent of position, great opportunity to learn about different positions and their commitments. This initiative is a response from IEEE for the feedback about lack of training for new officers. Besides the virtual training, shadowing is also used to provide hands-on training.

    6. Another opportunity for training is the Volunteer Leadership Training Program (VoLT). It develops future IEEE leaders and targets active volunteer who seeks an in-depth knowledge about IEEE organization, its structure, and resources available to them. Track 1 deadline was Jun 22nd, Track 2 starts around September and lasts three months. It consists of live weekly webinars on leadership related topics. During Track 2 participants work on a project assignment. 

  5. 7:00 - Tonight's Focus 

    1. Affinity Group: Young Professionals Chair nomination (Jian Guo) and plans to run (see his presentation attached below).

    2. Society Chapter: None

  6. 8:00 Section Updates (Max 5 minutes per section)

    1. COMM Society had a Distinguished Lecturer event at Tektronix which was a great success. Half of the audience was IEEE members and 2 of them from the Communications Society and Tek employees.
    2. PES giving a presentation in the summer highlighting Tuesday, August 28th.
    3. PSU SB hosted a PSU End of Year BBQ in conjunction with other student groups attended by 40/50 people. They also received a bundle of laptops and desktops donated for the PDX ECE community to use. $500 worth of equipment made by Free Geek.
    4. OSU SB has 25 consistent members but in the summer it does down. Current projects develop computer packaging thermal management systems using CO2 and liquid nitrogen coolers. OSU also spearheading competition for heat sinks devices. 
    5. IAS Report (emailed to Paulo after the meeting): The Industry Applications Society Annual Meeting will again be in Portland September 23-27, 2018 at the Oregon Convention Center. This the second time in just three years that the IAS Annual Meeting has been held in Portland. This is due to their successful meeting in 2016 and the influence of former IAS President David Durocher of Portland. This year they will be collocated with the Energy Conversion Congress and Exposition. For more information, click the link above.
      Their next IAS chapter meeting is tentatively scheduled for September 17, 2018, at the offices of Brown and Caldwell, 6500 S Macadam Avenue in Portland. They'll get an announcement up on vTools as soon as everything gets fired up.
  7. Future Focus

    1. Aug: No meeting. Summer Social, see everybody there!

    2. Sep: WSU Student Branch (Schubert Yu) and PSU PSAS/RAS SB Chapter (Eric Ruhl)

    3. Oct: TBD

Attendees:  Diwakar Agarwal (Vice-Chair), Paulo Vasconcelos (Secretary), Russell D Mickiewicz (Treasurer), John Prohodsky (Past Chair), Rick A Smith (PACE Chair), Daniel Goodrich (PES Chair), Branimir Pejcinovic (E25), Pradeep Kumar (Robert Rutherford (PSU SB Past Chair), Kirk Jungles (PSU SB Chair), Stephen Johnston (PSU SB Treasurer), Eric Ruhl (AESS SB Chapter Chair), Jian Guo (YP Chair), Souma Badombena, Vishvas Chalishazar, Brian Choi, Michael Bates.

WebEx Attendees: Rachel McAfee (STB01451), Jim Cook (IA34), Ken Mays (ED15/MTT17), Pradeep Kumar (COM19/UFFC20/PHO36).

Discussions

Important Dates 

  • Summer Social - Sat Aug 11th
  • PES General Meeting - Aug 5th 

Action Items 

  • Rick Smith to create a slide deck for Summer Social (bring the laptop to the event).
  • Dan to send email to Diwarkar, Rick Smith, and Paulo to promote the PES General Meeting at our companies.
  • Paulo to forward that email to Jay Guo (LAM Research), Kirk Jungles (PSU students) and send to the student body.
  • Kirk Jungles to send PES meeting and Summer Social reminders to the greater PSU IEEE student membership.
  • Vishvas Chalishazar to send PES meeting and Summer Social reminders to the greater OSU PES student membership.

Announcements